Friday, June 17, 2011

Jitterbug

 
During the summer when I was a kid in Philadelphia, you could rent a street for the purpose of having a private street block party.  A promoter rented a street from the city close to where I lived. And then he rented out space on the street for stands, to sell  hot dogs, or spin-the-wheel games or whatever, and at the end of the row of stands, on the street, was a jukebox,  So you could dance right there in the street to swing music. Just put a coin in the jukebox and select your song. 
You couldn't help seeing this young teenager with her long pony tail and swinging rump, gyrating to music by Benny Goodman, or Glenn Miller, or Tommy Dorsey, or Jimmy Dorsey, or Woody Herman, etc.  

Rae,WOW!!
I didn't know Rae at the time but I think I was smitten.
Some years later I was in the corner drug store where I used the pay telephones to make my bets on sports games.   I overheard someone say Jake was going to ask this 'still a teenager' (Rae) for a date. I did not care for Jake.  I used a term then, as I do now for guys like him, ***hole.  And when I found out the teenager was Rae, it really bugged me.
The father of a good friend of mine, Alan, was the box office manager at the Schubert Theater on Broad Street, in Philadelphia.  It was our best local theater.  So I asked Mr. Franks if he could get me some tickets to the show in his theater.  As it happened the show was in the last two weeks on the road, before opening on Broadway.  Ethel Merman, the biggest musical comedy star of the time, was in it, it had  rave, smash hit reviews and it was sold out for almost two years in New York.  And I got 4 tickets.  Then I called and asked Rae a question she couldn't refuse,
"Did she want to go to the show?"   (Guys and Dolls) 
We had never met but she knew who I was,  And I had dated Bernice Polish, a good friend of her older sister.  God knows  how I got passed Bernice's review, but the date was made.
The ultimate result; I found out the meaning of ,
"Happily Ever After".





Please
'CLICK'
your reaction in a box, just below.
 (You can make a comment too if you know how)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment