Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Martha


Martha Stewart was sent to jail?  Lovely Martha? Stewart?  She went to jail?  She is home now, thank the lord, but its still hard for me to get my brain around this.  To me Martha Stewart represents the ability for any of us, as an individual, to attain the heights of business success in our country.  In other words all that good opportunity stuff about our country.
She doesn't need praise from me.  Or sympathy from me for the difficulty that was foisted upon her.  Just the thought of it sickens me. 
She is a wonder and now she has been forced to represent an example of the spirit necessary to overcome some of the man-made poop that anyone of us can fall into..

I remember thinking at the time, "You can't put Martha Stewart in jail.  Even if she spit on the sidewalk in Philadelphia."  (They repealed that law.)  So I figured she must have done something terrible. 
Damn!!!  They put Martha  in Jail.  And this is not a joke, right?   It wasn't publicity for some of that stuff she sells in TV ads, or in department stores.  I cant conjure up a picture of Martha doing something terrible.  So I did some research.  Maybe she was demonstrating one of her recipes and accidently mixed up some bad stuff with the other ingredients . . . .
What???  She did w
hat? 
Throughout my entire business life my best friend, Jerry, once a Wall Street account executive, and later an officer for Morgan Stanley, like many other so called 'account executives', he would call me on the phone and tout various stocks. All of them were all hoping to get me to buy or sell something.  So they could make a buck.  If we  leave Jerry out of the equation, I knew some of the callers could have only been on the job for a week or maybe just a day.  Sometimes the ones that called, that I didn't know, were brand new hires trying to build a customer base, and, oh yeah, like I said, trying to get me to buy or sell something.  That was how they made their living.  And I think they still do it the same way.  And if luck had it and I bought a stock that went up, I got another sales phone call.
In other words, as I get it,  a Wall Street guy, who Martha knew for a long time, called her on the phone. It was one of those 'can I make a buck ' phone calls.
The law was 
suspicious of th
is guy because they thought 'maybe' he was using inside stuff to make sales.  But she thought of him as a friend and she didn't want to get him into trouble.  So she answered these' paragons of virtue' in that context.  Her guard was down.  Calls like this, had happened this way, so many times before, no way she thought anything wrong was involved.
And what difference is the amount of shares? 100 or 1000 or 10 million?  Or if the stock was in her company or my company or any company?  This is so ridiculous.  But she went to JAIL.  If you put everybody in jail who called people like me on the phone to sell me some stock, using terms like 'confidential information', wall street could  solve the 'jobs' problem just by hiring replacements for the all the Wall Street jailbirds.
And then, these virtuous paragons, who will do anything to advance their own careers, decided they could use the notoriety of Martha's name.  Real butt holes who felt safe doing it.  Its rare when someone, just like them, like that butthole sheriff, who ruined the reputations of those kids from the Duke Lacrosse team, pays any kind of penalty. Like that sheriff did. 
I put the butt holes that perpetrated Martha's miscarriage of justice in the same category.


Who's next ?
If stupidity needs an example, this is it. 
Martha went to jail?  Martha Stewart?  Unbelievable!!!
Please
register you reaction by checking a box below.  And you can make a comment, and sign it  with your face-book or twitter signature.
)

No comments:

Post a Comment