Monday, June 29, 2015

The end of the world!

End of the world is coming.
One of the reasons I was a good salesman was, I had this ability to anticipate or recognize what the prospect was thinking. And I discovered this ability of mine related to everyone regardless of how the prospect's educational background related to my personal education.  But when I doubled up with Herbie, who worked for the same company and was  considered a good salesman, I discovered a tactic other salesman used that I didn't.  Its called lying.  In the herbie instance after our first stop, I told him if he wanted me to stay for the rest of the week, I would have to do all the talking. That meant he minimalized his participation in the sales talk.
For whatever reason I was never a good liar and for sure I am not comfortable telling lies. I don't know if a poor memory is responsible but I could never remember stuff other people seemed to have no trouble with. Like faces and names. But I was always very inventive at embellishing answers and using statements that were true to make my point.
Later, when I started teaching kids how to play tennis I made a discovery.  Not one kid heard the same thing, from what I said, even though they all heard the same words and saw the same physical demonstration.  And few heard what I would have heard, if I was the listener.  (Which is what most people think is happening.)  So I always preferred teaching one on one as opposed to group teaching. I never had a kid I could not teach how to play regardless of their intellectual or physical condition. I taught a few wheel chair tennis beginners.
Why?  Because I accepted the 'everyone is different'  proposition.  Even twins, when you are talking to one, the other is in a different position, therefore the circumstances would never be exactly the same for the input of information..  When they are babies, your pronunciation would be different, your smile would be different, a good part of everything is different.... you get the point.
So I came to the conclusion we are all in our own world. Each and every one of us. The prediction that the world is going to end was correct.  In my opinion, every time someone passes, that individual's world ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment