Wednesday, February 24, 2016

A 60th Street Miracle

Me?


I don't know where or how but some time ago I discovered what I thought was an original thought.  "We are all in a world of our own." And we make it what we want it to be by the things we do. What is obvious about this is, if we do stuff, it means we approve of what we are doing, so anyone close enough to you can read the actions which show who you are.  One of my talents, is reading other people . This explains everything. As a n example, on the periphery of our group of kids there was this girl Helene, we were 13 or 14, whose father stuck his nose wherever he could to help her socially. Stupid stuff.  Not A stuff  but I gave him his A for effort.    One night he encouraged her to have a home party with terrific food. Cold cuts of ham and cheese and corn beef, and delicious rye bread and soda and other goodies and then she had use of the house with no adults in it. The adults went out with friends to a movie or what have you. Stupid. I think you saw a picture or two written by a different me, one who could write.
Somewhere in time the kids started a fire on the floor in the living room that definitely ruined the rug. The smell of the fire brought me into the room and I ran back to the kitchen to get a big pot of water and doused most of the fire before another pot put it out completely. Helene went to a corner and was sobbing.  All the other kids scattered out as fast as they could. I went over and consoled her and suddenly realized everybody had left. She didn't stop sobbing and put her head on my shoulder. Next thing you know I'm patting her back and accidently I massage a part of her where it definitely is a little softer. I could feel soft swelling.   This area became the focus of my consoling massage and Helene kept sobbing, a little, but offered no resistance. Suddenly kissing was added and more messaging including some on the inside of her leg, above the knee.  There was genuine cad in the house. Thinking about it now I blame it on my being a part of the animal world.
I liked Helene. She had well shaped features but her choice of glasses and hair style did make her look very plain.  But that had nothing to do with anything.  It was me at that age. And if that was a stage of growth I don't think I ever grew out of that stage.  I will take a soft girl over a run in the park any day.  Anyway we continued hot and heavy but every time I reached a certain upward point of advancement, above the knee, a hand came down to interfere with my progress.
Some months later on a corner of 60th Street and Spruce, Jerry Cooperman is talking to a few listeners. I can hear him saying . . . . . .Helene and . . . .I walk away. Jake comes over and asks, what's a matter Howard don't you believe him. "What does it matter if I do or don't believe him but since you asked, no I don't." I say. But I'm boiling.
Fast forward a little and I'm home on sick furlough for a while and I meet Jerry who just got home on furlough too and we are talking on the same corner.
He is saying, cmon Howard you've been home a coupla weeks you must have a  number or two you can share with me . . . . .when I see Helene coming down 60th on the other side of Spruce.  "Jerry, this is your lucky day, here comes Helene, look she's  crossing the street."
"Helene?" he says, Its like beating your head against a brick wall."
When we were about 8 and 9, me 8, we got into an argument and he whacked me with the wooden end of a rubber gun rifle.  My brother came along and asked what, how and I told him.  He grabbed Jerry, they were the same age but my bother was obviously stronger.  He belted Jerry a few belts until he left crying.
But my real dislike was directed toward Jake.  I never liked him.  But because of that dislike I met and took Rae out on a date that resulted in a Miracle.  She married me.

No comments:

Post a Comment