Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Jose

"Jose has a new computer!!"  It was a shout.  And he really did. Without a doubt.  But that’s the end.  Here is the beginning . . . . .
Miss Perpegagno's Chess Class
In Little Haiti, Mrs.  Perpegangno taught chess to her 4th grade class at Toussaint Lorvature Elementary School.  Jose one of her better pupils knew chess champion, St. John Fortune, another of her students , was getting a computer from ‘Dwight's Computers for Kids’.  So he patiently waited for a chance to talk to me and then asked me if I would fix his computer.  I took his phone number.  But when I called whoever answered thought I was a bill collector or something and suddenly English was not understandable.  I tried again, but I could not get through and then I forgot about it.  When I had occasion to go back to  the school I saw this familiar face politely waiting again  for me to finish talking to the teacher.
I started the conversation, "Whoa, don’t tell me, I know  . . .Juan?  No?. . . Two? No?   OK tell me."  "Jose !!!"  "Right.  Jose I
called but couldn’t get you."  His face showed understanding.  "Mr. Kaufman, can you call today between 4 and 4:30 I’ll be home, please?"   "It’s a deal."  So I called and made a date. 

When the door opens to his apartment, on the 2nd floor of a U shaped 2 story apt. building,  I can see the computer on a small table against the not too far away wall.   It’s a 386 (a 386 was before the first Pentiums and it had a small floppy disc drive which stopped the computer from booting up if a disc was in the drive) and I can see a disc in the floppy drive.  I call his attention away with a question  and successfully get the floppy out without him noticing.  (386's with Windows 3.1 not only would not start unless the disc was removed, it also did not tell you a disc was in the drive.)  "This is easy Jose, there’s really nothing wrong with it.  But just to be sure . . "  I raise my arms high, spread my fingers wide, and slowly bring my arms to horizontal and say "pffffffft!!"  Then I snap my finger and say,   "OK, fixed."   

Jose has a computer!!!
 
"No, no it really doesn’t work." 
"Jose will you just turn it on?"
 

He turns it on, it boots  up, and starts. 
How did I ever keep a straight face. 
I say, "Look Jose, this computer is too old.
 I am going to get a newer computer for you with  Windows 98 and some games.  Will you be home Saturday, in the morning?"  
On Saturday, when I deliver the computer, a lot of kids from the other apartments gather, then come in and one says out loud, "Jose has a new  . . . . . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment