Friday, March 11, 2011

Guilty


Justice Scales
No Names.  He is a single parent father doing a good job with his 13 year old son.  He was a star basketball  player with one of the top mid-west basketball colleges and figured to be drafted early.  His love for motorcycles ended that dream.  Now he's a municipal employee who works with kids. From his college playing days he has many friends.
He knows about the Dwight's Computers program and that I had helped some employees who had problems getting their side heard in disputes with the city.
He calls and asks will I accompany him to a disciplinary hearing because he got into a little trouble. I say, " Think twice."  He says, "I know how it is  between you and the department head, but I need someone I can trust, who I know will be with me."  So I agree to go  to the hearing with him.  The city suggests to him that he ask me not to attend.  He says,
"I want Howard with me."  The hearing starts and at one point the city official says shows a letter sized piece of paper and says,,  "When I sign this, you are effectively terminated.  The thing is, he did  not say 'if.'. "
Employee asks, "Do you know so and so?"
"Yes."
"He works for the city doesn't he?"
"Yes."
"Well while he was employed by the city he was charged and convicted of a felony and today he still works for the city, doesn't he?"
"Yes."
"Well I haven't been convicted of anything, how do you explain that?"
"Its a completely different set of circumstances and you still have to go to court."
"But you're convicting me now, he was convicted by a court of law, and him being white and me being black has nothing to do with it?"
".  . . . Of course  not. "
He signs the paper.  His attitude says 'what good is having the power to fire someone if you never use it'.
Outside the employee asks, if I know any lawyers.  I say,
"Third person liability cases?  Colson & Hicks is one of the top law firms in this area".  
I set up an appointment.  Later, after the judge dismisses the case against him, he calls.  He tells me he's dropping the suit.  The reason is, he has an opportunity to get the same job with a different city. 
"Howard you know how it is, if I get the reputation of suing a city, which I will, I may never get another city job. I really enjoy what I do."  Colson  & Hicks, class all the way, assure him if he goes forward he will not lose this case, but they understand and will abide his wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment